Jarrett J. Haskovec has received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest attorney rating of “AV.” In 2013 and 2014, Super Lawyers named him a “Rising Star” and, in 2015-2017, he was listed as a Super Lawyer in the Employment and Labor section. In 2015, he was chosen for inclusion in the Phoenix Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 list. Since 2016, Jarrett has served as the President of the Arizona Employment Lawyers Association.
Jarrett handles administrative and labor and employment law matters. His employment practice focuses on wage and hour issues, discrimination cases, wrongful termination, and employment agreements, and he has represented employees in court and administrative agency proceedings. Jarrett also represents unions in grievances, arbitrations, unfair labor practice cases, and collective bargaining negotiations. Finally, Jarrett represents teachers, professors, administrators, and other school employees in matters involving administrative investigations, proposed dismissal or discipline, certification issues, non-renewal (and failure to renew), drafting and negotiating separation agreements, due process, breach of contract, and related matters.
- The University of Iowa (Bachelor of Arts with Honors and Highest Distinction, 2002)
- The University of Iowa College of Law (Juris Doctor with Distinction, 2005)
- Study Abroad: Goethe Institut (Germany, 2000); University of Vienna (Austria, 2000); Aalborg University (Denmark, 2001); Arcachon Comparative Law Program (France, 2003)
- Arizona State University (Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership and Management, 2010)
Professional Recognition, Honors, and Awards
- Zertifikat Deutsch (Goethe Institut, Germany, 2000)
- Rhodes Dunlap Honors Scholar (2000 – 2002)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society (2001)
- Iowa Law Foundation Scholar (2002 – 2005)
- Van Oosterhout Moot Court Quarterfinalist (2003)
- Erich D. Mathias Award for International Social Justice (2005)
- Person of Hope (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 2012)
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013 and 2014)
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers – Employment & Labor (2015-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (2013)
- 40 Under 40 (Phoenix Business Journal, 2015)
- Arizona (2005)
- Texas (2006)
- Iowa (2013)
- U.S. District Court for the District Arizona (2005)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2006)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2009)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (2012)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa (2013)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (2013)
- Achieved dismissal (at the pleading stage) of company’s federal court complaint seeking to vacate a labor arbitration decision favorable to a union in a discharge case.
- Successfully defended a union against a duty of fair representation suit, achieving a favorable disposition at the summary judgment stage.
- Successfully represented a court reporter at a hearing involving the ongoing recertification process, enabling the court reporter to continue to work for a significant period of time.
- Achieved the reinstatement of a union member discharged without just cause and further obtained a large back pay award through arbitration.
- Successfully enforced the terms of a collective bargaining agreement concerning employee-paid contributions to health insurance premiums, obtaining significant refunds for many employees.
- Successfully represented a discharged employee of a federal public agency in proceedings stemming from MSPB appeal, achieving a favorable settlement.
- Advised and represented teachers, support staff members, and other education professionals in investigations, administrative hearings and court proceedings in matters involving proposed discipline, compensation/classification, due process, breach of contract, and seniority and recall rights, among other areas.
- Dowdell v. Hospice Family Care, Inc., Trial Rep. Of Cent & N. Ariz., at 4 (April 15, 2008) (achieved unanimous jury verdict in less than one hour of deliberations based on violations of public policy stemming from the termination of a social worker for having notified Adult Protective Services of suspected elder abuse).
- Represented several organizations in public hearings and other proceedings before the Arizona Corporation Commission in connection with rate cases filed by various public utilities.
Publications, Presentations, and Other Works
- Presentation: The Duty to Bargain Under the NLRA, Just Cause, and A Union’s Duty of Fair Representation (El Paso, TX, 2015)
- Presentation: Teacher Dismissal in Arizona (Arizona Education Association, Annual Seminar, Phoenix, AZ, 2015)
- Presentation: Really? Forcing Defendants to Narrow the Issues in Dispute in Pleading Practice (Arizona Employment Lawyers Association, Annual Convention, Casa Grande, AZ, 2015)
- Presentation: Just Cause and A Union’s Duty of Fair Representation (Tucson, AZ, 2014)
- Presentation: Review of Recent, Significant Employment Law Cases (Arizona Employment Lawyers Association, April and September 2012, January, March, and April 2013, and June 2014 monthly CLE meetings, Phoenix, AZ)
- Presentation: A Union’s Duty of Fair Representation (Phoenix School of Law, Phoenix, AZ, 2013)
- Presentation: Procedural Due Process and Right to a Hearing (El Paso, TX, 2013)
- Presentation: Notice of Claims in Arizona: Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them (Arizona Education Association, Education Employment Law Seminar, 2012)
- Presentation: Labor Law Developments in Arizona (Arizona State Bar, Employment and Labor Law Section, Annual Seminar, 2011)
- Presentation: ADA and FMLA for Caregivers and Patients (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Phoenix, AZ, 2010)
- Co-Author of Papers on Arbitration Remedies Presented at Lawyers Coordinating Committee (LCC) Conference (Miami, FL, 2009)
- Stanley Lubin and Jarrett J. Haskovec, Summary Review of Arbitration Awards Regarding Integration of Seniority Lists During Mergers and Acquisitions
- Stanley Lubin and Jarrett J. Haskovec, Remedies When the Wrong Person Is Promoted
- Stanley Lubin and Jarrett J. Haskovec, Procedural Arbitrability and Waiver Issues
- Stanley Lubin and Jarrett J. Haskovec, Precluding an Employer From Receiving Offsets or Credits for its Own Mistakes When Reimbursing Employees Pursuant to an Arbitrator’s Award
- Presentation: Weingarten Rights During Investigatory Interviews (El Paso, TX, 2008)
- Publication: A Beast of a Burden? The New EU Burden-of-Proof Arrangement in Cases of Employment Discrimination Compared to Existing U.S. Law, 14 Transnat’l L. & Contemp. Probs. 1069 (2005)
- Honors Thesis: Different Responses to Maastricht: Internal and External Determinants of the Outcomes of the Maastricht Referenda in Denmark and in France (The University of Iowa, 2002)
- Co-Author of Paper: Monetary Union and Political Integration: Directly Related, Contingent or Unconnected Concepts? (European Studies Certificate Program at Aalborg University, Denmark, 2001)
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Arizona Bar Association (2005 – present)
- Texas Bar Association (2006 – present)
- American Bar Association (2006 – present)
- AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee,Western and Southern Regions (2005 – present)
- Arizona Employment Lawyers Association (2006-present)
- Arizona Industrial Relations Association/Arizona Labor and Employment Relations Association (2006 – present)
- American Constitution Society (2007 – present)
- President, Arizona Employment Lawyers Association (August 2016 – present); Vice-President, Arizona Employment Lawyers Association (February 2014 – August 2016); Member, Board of Directors, Arizona Employment Lawyers Association (February 2012 – present)
- Union and Employee Co-Chair for Region 28, ABA Committee on Practice & Procedure Under the NLRA (August 2016 – present)
- Member, Patient Services Committee; Chair, Patient Education Subcommittee, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Desert Mountain States Chapter (2009 – 2011)
- Member, Board of Directors, American Constitution Society, Phoenix Lawyer Chapter (2007)
- Member, Advocacy Committee, Uphill Into the Wind (2011-2012)
- Cycling participant, Team in Training (fundraising arm of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society), America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride (2010, 2012)